Tuesday 2 April 2013

Ridge Vineyards Geyserville Zinfandel, California, USA, 1999

For my first red wine review I have decided to review a wine I first tried at Christmas, and again this past Sunday with Easter dinner. Since I first started working with and getting into wine, Ridge has always been a personal favourite. However, this bottle is the oldest of their Zins that I have managed to try.

Appearance: It has a deep, dark centre with a lighter purple tinge towards the edges. It clings invitingly to the edges of the glass when swirls and doesn't have the off-putting thickness that some Zins can get.

Nose: The wine has an inviting nose, yet it is a little subdued (which only increases curiosity). I could pick out plums, savoury oaked spice - cloves, mostly - and a vegetal hint towards the end of my breath.

Palate: The palate comes in three waves. First, a plush, fruity burst of stewed cherry with a zing of redcurrant. Second, grippy tannins lengthen the taste with soft oaked spices, cinnamon and a touch of black pepper. This continues to the third: a powerful finish that is in no way sticky or overdone, leaving notes of tobacco, plum, cedar and dancing spices.

Rating: I rarely get to try wines such as this and I am certainly glad I was able to enjoy it with a meal to match - I would definitely recommend a roast lamb dish with any Ridge reds. Its astonishing length, beautifully composed and well-blended palate cannot really be faulted. It is full bodied, without being too thick, powerful, yet not aggressive. I wouldn't imagine it will be this good for many more years, so if you see a bottle - buy it! 9.5/10                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment